Today is Thursday, July 27, 2017


Showing 9 articles from August 10, 2011.

John Sloan - Outdoors

A hot night for fishing

The sun was going down. It seemed to hover just above the trees. I was sweating bullets just from reeling. I felt the boat rock and knew the first fish of the night was battling my partner in the back of the boat. It turned out to be the largest fish of the night, close to five pounds. That was a year or so ago but I thought of it on this night.

Then it got dark.

Just because it was dark did not mean it was cool. There was not a tendril of moving air. I could hear the blue/black jig hit the water but I could not see it. It was past the scant light from the black light. At the third crank of the reel, I felt that flutter that signifies a fish has picked up the jig. Then the line tightened and I set the hook. It was a smallmouth of a pound. Even the little ones fight-smallmouth.

We worked our way through the dark, the rear boat light and the black light providing just enough light to work by. Now, a breeze hit our faces now and then and not only did it cool us, it kept the bugs away. The insects were not bad, just enough to make you aware of their presence. A jet went over low, preparing to land at the airport. A siren blared somewhere in Nashville.

Big Bird caught another bass of about the same size. I was afraid that was the pattern for the night-small fish and nothing of any size. About then I caught another one-pound smallmouth. The color of the evening was the blue/black combination that I have come to favor at night. I was using a crawfish imitator from Stanley Jigs. They make a good product and in the weight I like. Most jigs today come in weights of over -ounce. That are too heavy for the type of fishing I do. I wish I could still find the black or dark brown ones in bear hair or fox hair. The smallmouth seem to prefer them.

I drag and hop a jig across the bottom. I do very little, make that, I do no flipping and vertical jigging. Therefore I want a jig light enough for me to handle easily on the 6# line. My choice is 1/8-ounce and if it is deep water or windy, Ill go to -ounce. I do not want a heavy jig that stays on the bottom and usually hangs up on something. I want one that hops up and floats down.

You do not lose many fish on these jigs. Not only are the hooks good, most of the time, when a fish hits a jig and you set the hook properly, they get hooked in the top lip. It is a tough part of the lip and they dont throw many lures when they jump as smallmouth do. Of course, bass arent all you catch at night. Stripers and Hybrids are not uncommon in lakes where they abound. Catfish are a regular night time catch. An experienced fisherman can just about tell what he has by the way he fights.

I enjoy night fishing. I always have. I like the dark, even on land. I dont night fish at much as I once did. For a while, starting in late May, I used to fish four or five nights a week. Mostly I fished Center Hill. I like fishing the hill because the high ridges make for good landmarks you can see silhouetted against the sky. Makes for good running in the dark. You are required to have boat lights-a white light on the back and a red/green one on the bow. Now and then you might use a spotlight to check your location or spot a landmark on the bank. Now I mostly fish Percy Priest and there is usually enough ambient light from the area businesses to allow you to run. I try to go on nights when it is not loaded with boats. On this night it is almost deserted.

I make a long cast across the point of the island. I start bouncing and hopping the jig slowly across the point Halfway back, the tap comes. I set the hook hard, the rod bows and the drag clicks. All signs of a good fish. I cant move him. He runs sideways toward the back of the boat, not acting like a bass. Then the line goes limp. Lost him. I think probably catfish. Then Mark and I both catch the same piece of discarded line. I save my lure, he does not.

It is now close to one a.m. Five hours is long enough. We have caught a respectable number of small fish. Even though night is when you are supposed to catch the big ones, on this night, Big Bird and I did not, just the drillers, the bank runners. However, it was an enjoyable night.

A hot night. A hot night for fishing.

Contact John L. Sloan at


General Lifestyle

Lebanons Carter helms tribute to the Man in Black

By KEN BECK, The Wilson Post
JONESBORO, Ark.Friends and relatives of Johnny Cash brought down the house Thursday night with a concert that will result in the restoration of the Arkansas Delta boyhood home of the Man in Black.

The Johnny Cash Music Festival, held at Arkansas State University which bought the Cash house in April, was the brainchild of TV producer and artist manager Bill Carter, who has lived in Lebanon the past 17 years.

Co-hosted by Cashs children, Rosanne and John Carter Cash, the entertainers also included Kris Kristofferson, George Jones, Gary Morris, Rodney Crowell and bluegrass entertainers of the year Dailey & Vincent. Other Cash kinfolk performing were Johnnys siblings Tommy Cash and Joanne Cash Yates, John Carters wife, Laura, and Rosannes daughter, Chelsea Crowell.

"There are four generations of Cashes here tonight," Rosanne said. "And if it wasnt for that little house, none of us would be here."

Rosanne opened the concert singing "Pickin Time," a tune her father wrote about the cotton fields, while a screen behind her held a giant photo of Cash holding his baby girl, Rosanne, in his arms.

"This is a really special day for the Cash family," Rosanne told the crowd of 7,000-plus. "We didnt know if we would get the house. Were thrilled that we did. ASU acquired it several weeks ago."

The $300,000 raised by ticket sales will benefit the Johnny Cash Boyhood Home Project in Dyess. The project involves establishing a museum to honor the legacy of the international superstar singer, songwriter and author.

"My father moved here as part of the New Deal with his family, onto 40 acres of land where they grew cotton," John Carter Cash said. "Although we are paying homage to that legacy, we are also moving forward, looking further into the future. . . . Its been quite a journey. We celebrate the history of my fathers music, but its also about rebuilding Dyess."

The concert, which will become an annual event and also provide scholarships to students from Mississippi County, germinated in the mind of Bill Carter last autumn.

"I attended an event at?ASU,?which is my alma?mater, and they told me they were trying to acquire the boyhood home of Cash and hoped to restore it and build a museum to honor him," Carter said. "They asked my help in trying to secure donations to finance the project. I suggested a benefit and told them I knew John Carter and Rosanne and would be happy to discuss this with them.

Working with Nashville promoter Jan Volz and production coordinator Joey Pruett, Carter met with John Carter Cash in early December, and from that point it was full speed ahead.?

Carter began filling the performance bill by calling artists who were friends of Johnny Cash. The first two names on the list were George Jones and Kris Kristofferson, and both agreed.

"I suggested Dailey & Vincent because they provided diversity and were such crowd pleasers, and John Carter had seen them and loved their music, and also their roots music fit with Johnny and the Carter Family," Carter said.

"The same was true with Gary Morris. His son, Matt, came because I contacted Justin Timberlake to bring Matt and sing Hallelujah, which they had done on the TV Haiti benefit show and created such a response. Justin had a schedule conflict but suggested sending Matt if I could find someone to sing his part. I assumed he was suggesting Gary, and it became a highlight of the show.?All the performers donated their time," said Carter, 75, who also has worked as attorney, Secret Service agent, politician, lobbyist and security consultant and is the executive producer of the Bill and Gloria Gaither gospel music "Homecoming" specials.

Most of the nearly 40 songs performed at the Thursday night concert were either written by or hits of Johnny Cash, and practically all the artists dressed in black.

Kristofferson, who sang "Sunday Morning Coming Down," "Me and Bobby McGee" and his favorite Cash song, "Big River," said, "I have a hard time thinking of John (Johnny Cash) as a friend; he was my hero. He was, and he still is. To be working on a tribute to him and his home is a real honor to me."

John Carter Cash and wife Laura did a duet on "If I Were a Carpenter," a hit made decades ago by his father and mother (June Carter Cash), and Laura sang a Carter Family staple, "Keep on the Sunny Side."

Johnnys brother, Tommy Cash, sang "Five Feet High and Rising" and "I Walk the Line," while sister Joanne performed "Suppertime." Dailey & Vincent nearly stole the show as their quartet performed an a capella rendition of "When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder" and then launched into a rousing version of "Daddy Sang Bass."

George Jones warbled several tunes, including Lebanon songwriter Curly Putmans "He Stopped Loving Her Today," and said of his appearance: "Its for my old buddy, Johnny Cash. He was the best friend I ever had. He helped me in my hard times and gave me work, and Ill never forget him."

Gary Morris and his son, Matt, were highlights of the concert with splendiferous harmonies on "Wind Between My Wings" and "Hallelujah." Rodney Crowell and ex-wife Rosanne Cash teamed on "Dont Need No Memories Hanging Round" and then joined daughter Chelsea on "Get Rhythm."

Rosanne said, "I wouldnt be a songwriter if not for my Dad," as she then sang her monster hit, "Seven-Year Ache," and followed with her fathers songs "Radio Operator," "Tennessee Flat Top Box" and "I Still Miss Someone."

The night concluded with all the performers onstage joining on "Angel Band" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

Johnny Cashs parents, Ray and Carrie Cash, moved to Dyess, Ark., in 1934. With their five children they were among the 500 families, all ruined by the Depression, chosen to move to the colony, created by President Franklin D. Roosevelts New Deal program to get farmers impacted by the Great Depression an opportunity to get back on their feet.

Their fourth child, J.R., was 3 at the time. More than two decades later, J.R. would become a country and rock n roll superstar to the world, but he never left his sharecropper roots, and the fertile Arkansas Delta was forever a part of him.

Johnny began working in the cotton fields when he was 5. Carrie taught her children to sing in the fields and in the evenings at home as a way of enduring the hardships and as an act of family and faith. On Sundays, the Cashes attended the colonys Baptist church where Carrie played piano. The young J.R. found no joy in the preacher, but the music touched a deep responsive chord in his thirsty soul. Cash lived in Dyess until he graduated from high school in 1950.

Of the 500 homes built in Dyess 77 years ago, only 60, including the Cash home, remain. Although dilapidated and falling into ruin, it stands as a living monument to the special life and career that took flight from its humble walls. The restoration of Cashs boyhood home is expected to be the linchpin for the restoration of the Dyess Colony as a tourist attraction and historic site.

The Johnny Cash Boyhood Museum and Home, once completed, are expected to generate 27 new jobs in Mississippi County, with a payroll of $450,000, during the first year of operation.

"Its about the heart; its about the spirit. Its about bloodlines, too," John Carter Cash said. "The things my father believed in are being continued here. He was a child of Arkansas, a child of this area. The sweat and blood he put into this gumbo soil may be showing the flowering fruits of that now."

For Bill Carter, there are several facets of his own Arkansas boyhood that allow him to relate Johnny Cash, a man he met several times.

"I wish I had known him better," Carter said. "I grew up 30 miles north of Johnny in Rector and under similar circumstances. My parents were laborers who never owned their home, and when I finished high school I followed Johnny three years later and joined the Air Force. It was our way of escaping the cotton fields.?By the time I got out of college and entered ASU, Johnny was on his way to becoming a superstar."

The Carter-produced Johnny Cash Music Festival will be turned into a PBS-TV special.

"This show could not have happened without the passionate support and commitment of Rosanne, John Carter, Tommy, Joanne and other members of the Cash family. I will never forget them for the help they gave me, Jan and ASU," Carter said.

"The show became a PBS-TV show only because the entire production crew donated their time to do the show. Producer Michael Merriman, Associate Producer Stephanie Reeves, Director Steve Angus and every other crew member donated their time because most had worked with Johnny at some time during their career and loved him.

"I am not sure why I agreed to do this knowing the kind of commitment required to make it successful, but I have known John Carter and Rosanne and have such respect for them both as artists and as beautiful souls. Also I felt that Johnny deserved to have his great legacy preserved for future generations.?Maybe his powerful spirit played a major role," said Carter, a man who knows how to get things done.

For more info, go to

For more about Bill Carter, go to

Writer Ken Beck may be contacted at


Our Feathered Friends

Our Feathered Friends - Aug. 10

Many of you are probably tired of me mentioning my vegetable garden each week. I had hopes of entering some of them in the Wilson County Fair, hoping for a repeat of my success from last year.

Karen Franklin, along with her daughter Anna, picked me up to go with them to enter some of Karens pictures in the photo contest at the fair. After returning home, I started over to my next door neighbor, Ashley Boyd, when I noticed a stalk of my corn lying on the ground, uprooted. It hadnt been too long after we got the rain storm on Saturday, so maybe the wind had caused the problem.

After I walked back to see what had happened, I found all the ripe tomatoes had been taken by someone. Also a large bunch of my sweet peppers were gone too. The watermelons and cantelopes had been confiscated by some unknown thief. There were many hours work and many dollars spent to produce these fine vegetables for someone to just take them.

The thief made a return trip on Sunday about 3:30 in the afternoon to get more stuff and took my butternut squash which I could kick myself for leaving it on the vine for a couple more days so I could enter it in the fair. Is nothing sacred anymore?

The last couple of weeks, I have been talking about Swallows. Another Swallow we have in a few choice locations is the Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota). This species is considered the streamlined harbingers of spring, especially in the California area. Each spring colonies of master masons return here from deep down in South America flying several thousand miles to reach their ancestral home.

At chosen locations, the male will select a spot and stake his claim and drive off hovering neighbors. When the female alights, the pair begin building their bottle shaped nest with the entrance at the neck. A mud puddle is located and groups of swallows surround it and gather little drops of mud in their beaks. They return to the nest site and carefully place each little drops of mud against the wall. Clusters of nurseries grow out from the verticle bases on the preferred surface. Bickering Swallows steal mud from other birds houses, while birds that fail to breed form roving gangs that harass other members of the colony.

The birds colors are a pale forehead and rump, black crown, dark brown throat and cheeks streaked back with a square tail. Now thats a mouthful.

Before the birds place the roof on the structure, the female lays four of five brown spotted white eggs in the nest. A colony often raises its family in the same nest year after year unless the nest deteriorates and falls to the ground.

I myself have never seen Cliff Swallows here in Wilson County, but I havent checked under every bridge on every creek, but maybe some of you can. I was fishing for large mouth bass over in Granville several years ago when I spotted a small colony of Cliff Swallows nesting under the bridge on Highway 53 where the creek intersects the road at the Jackson County line. Maybe our resident fisherman John L. Sloan has noticed these birds at this location. I admire Mr. Sloan because he is a nature lover with many years of experience and cares about all wildlife.

Melissa Turrentine, please contact me where I can forward an e-mail to you from someone at the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge in Alabama about a sighting on the lake there.
I received an e-mail from a dear friend, Barbara Manners, telling me about her Bluebirds. Barbara said that her Bluebirds raised their first brood and left the nest, then came back to do it again.

The nest was built, but no eggs were laid. I am afraid that his mate must have perished before the eggs were laid. I must have been living under a rock back in late May as Barbaras husband of 44 years, Joe, passed away. I have known Joe for several years and got to visit with him at one of Roy Garrs seminars on Bluebirds and Purple Martins. He was a special person with a happy disposition and really loved his birds. Barbara, the best thing I can do for your loss is to keep you in my prayers.

After Church services Sunday, my cousin Traci Walker was telling me about her cat that is fearful for its life when she puts it outside. Its not a large dog but a pair of Mockingbirds that chases the bird, pecking it on the head when they do a fly-by.

The cat has a very fluffy tail that also grabs the pair of Mockers attention, so it is losing its hair at a faster rate than I did.

I would love to hear from you as to whats lurking about in your neighborhood and at your feeders. You can write me at 606 Fairview Ave., Lebanon, TN, 37087, call me at 547-7371 or e-mail me at


General News

Compressor roll out at Mayekawa

LEBANON -- Mayekawa, USA, Inc. one of the worlds leading manufacturers of industrial refrigeration compressors, rolled out its first unit from its Lebanon plant Monday.

The huge compressors take six to eight weeks to make at the facility, which employs 60 workers. Anthony said they plan to expand to a 300,000 square-foot facility and hire more employees within the next year.

Vice president and general manager of Mayekawa, U.S.A. Inc., Reid Anthony, welcomed visitors to the plant located in the Maddox-Simpson Industrial Subdivision and spent time explaining the production process to Wilson County Mayor Randall Hutto (pictured).

Mayekawa, Inc., produces refrigeration compressors for companies like breweries and food production facilities on a per order basis. The huge compressors take six to eight weeks to make at the facility, which employs 60 workers.

Anthony said they plan to expand to a 300,000 square-foot facility and hire more employees within the next year.

Crime Stoppers offers reward in attempted kidnapping

Wilson County Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the attempted kidnapping of a young teenage girl on Friday, Aug. 5.

A white male described as having red hair, a red beard or goatee, approximately 40 to 50 years of age and weighing 210 to 250 pounds, wearing a black Polo shirt, blue jeans and black gloves, attempted to kidnap a female teenager from the area of Rack Room Shoes in the Providence MarketPlace shopping center in Mt. Juliet.

The suspect was armed with a knife. He fled the area in a white extended cab truck with black interior.

Anyone with information concerning this crime, or any other crime, should contact the Wilson County Sheriffs Department at 444-1459, or Wilson County Crime Stoppers at 444-JAIL (444-5245). Callers will remain anonymous.

Dept. of Health cites local nursing home

By PATRICK HALL, The Wilson Post
A spokesperson for the Tennessee Department of Health confirmed Tuesday that Lebanon Health and Rehabilitation, a local nursing home, had several immediate jeopardy deficiencies that resulted in an investigation that concluded late last week.

Andrea Turner, spokesperson for the TDOH, said there was a complaint investigation that began on Friday, July 29, at Lebanon Health and Rehabilitation, where there was a reported immediate jeopardy deficiency. The investigation wrapped up on Friday, Aug. 5, after the deficiency was remedied.

There was either an existing situation or the likelihood of a situation that would have been detrimental to the health or welfare of a resident, Turner said.

Turner indicated investigators from the department were on hand at the facility during the week-long investigation to determine the nature of the deficiency. Turner also pointed out that additional deficiencies were found.

If the deficiency had not been resolved, Turner said the TDOH would take steps to suspend admissions at the facility or terminate the facilitys certification. The department typically notifies the public of this type of action. However, in this case, a notification was not given.

Because they were able to address the deficiency, none of that took place, Turner said, adding the notification was not made because the deficiency was addressed during the investigation.

The exact nature of the deficiencies is at this time unknown as Turner was not able to provide The Wilson Post with the full deficiencies report from the investigators by press time for this article.

Staff Writer Patrick Hall may be contacted at

MJ woman killed in LaVergne

Special to The Wilson Post
A Mt. Juliet woman was fatally stabbed trying to protect her friend from an attacker Sunday evening. Kimberly Kuhlman, 42, was allegedly stabbed multiple times by Kenny Thomason, 47, around 10 p.m., Sunday, in LaVergne. Thomason was reportedly trying to get to his ex-wife, one of Kuhlmans friends. He arrived by cab, and according to reports, Kuhlman told her to stay inside the house in an attempt to calm him down. When he couldnt get in, he allegedly attacked Kuhlman.

The ex-wife had an order of protection against Thomason. According to the City of LaVergne, Thomason had just been released from jail in July for violating the order. He had been to the house earlier in the day and LaVergne police had been called down. They kept an eye on the house, but were out on several calls when the attack took place.

When they got the call, they peeled off those calls and headed to the residence at 1420 Tuffnell Drive in LaVergne. The police arrived before Thomason could get into the home. There was a struggle, and Thomason was handcuffed. The murder weapon was recovered at the scene. CPR was performed on Kuhlman at the scene, and she was taken to Stonecrest Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.

We have a great deal of sorrow for the families and friends, said City of LaVergne Public Relations Director Kathy Tyson.

Tyson said dealing with a domestic violence situation is one of the most dangerous things you can do, and it is sad that Kuhlman was caught in the middle. But her bravery probably saved a life.

If the police hadnt arrived when they did, it most likely would have been a double murder, Tyson said.

Thomason was charged with first degree murder, attempted aggravated burglary and violation of order of protection. His bond was set at $732,000.

Kuhlman lived in Brookstone subdivision. The homeowners association released a statement Monday saying that Kuhlman served two terms on the board of directors and was key in the pool renovation. Even after she left the post, she continued to work as a volunteer for the community.

She could always be counted on to work for the betterment of the Brookstone community, the statement read.

She is survived by husband Jamie, and two boys, Kyle and Drew. A celebration of life will be held at the Kuhlman home, Friday, Aug. 12, from noon until 8 p.m. at 269 Page Drive in Mt. Juliet.

The invitation reads This will not be an event for sadness and mourning but for remembrance and celebration of the life of this loving wife, mother, sister and daughter. Her husband Jamie and children Kyle and Drew wish for you to share wonderful stories and memories of your relationship with Kim. The family will be holding a private burial ceremony in Mississippi.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks for donations to the Kuhlman Family Fund at any Regions Bank. Funds raised will go to the children.

Editors Note: Kenny Howell is the managing editor of The Chronicle of Mt. Juliet. He may be contacted at

Vicious Rottweiler in custody

By PATRICK HALL, The Wilson Post
A dog that attacked local dentist Dr. Teresa Larkins and her own dog on Sunday, Aug. 7, was finally turned over to the authorities Tuesday afternoon after its owner reportedly sent the dog out of state to avoid it being quarantined by the Lebanon Police Department according to city and state laws.

At approximately 12:07 a.m., Sunday, Lebanon officers responded to a call about a dog attack at 404 Amarillo Drive, discovering that Larkins and her dog had been reportedly viciously attacked by a Rottweiler.

Larkins explained that she and her son had just arrived home from a trip to Kentucky and she was letting her Miniature Schnauzer out to use relieve itself. She said the Rottweiler attacked them both until her son had to fire gunshots to get the dog to leave.

The dog was vicious. This was a horrible, horrible attack, Larkins said.

Larkins received a severe laceration to her chin, requiring 30 stitches and was treated at University Medical Center in Lebanon. She also suffered wounds on her hand as well. Larkins dog was treated at a local veterinarians office with lacerations.

The dog responsible for the attack was a Rottweiler owned by Michael K. Turner III, 28, of 402 Amarillo Drive, who admitted to police he had a Rottweiler, but refused to let officers take custody of the dog. Officers explained the dog must be quarantined after biting someone according to the Lebanon Municipal Code.

Officers returned to Turners home on Monday, Aug. 8, and again informed Turner the dog must be quarantined according not only to the Lebanon Municipal Code, but also per Tennessee Code Annotated.

I have been afraid to go outside with my dog, Larkins said, adding that she was relieved the Rottweiler was finally picked up by Lebanon Animal Control on Tuesday afternoon.

Turner told officers the dog had been sent out of state, and officers placed him under arrest for violating TCA 68-8-110. After being arrested, Turner reportedly stated that he could have the dog brought to the authorities within minutes.

Turner was transported to the Wilson County Jail and charged with Hiding or Concealing an Animal. Turner made bond and was released from the jail on Monday.

Also that day, officers cited Stephanie Beggs, 26, also of 420 Amarillo Drive, for allowing the Rottweiler to run at large, for keeping a vicious dog and not allowing the dog to be quarantined.
Beggs was previously cited on June 5 for allowing the same Rottweiler to run at large after the same victim and her dog were almost attacked. Beggs was scheduled to appear in Lebanon City Court for the June citation today.

Larkins said in June, she was outside with her dog when the Rottweiler came over into her yard and was reportedly being aggressive. She went to the neighbors home and tried to get someone to come outside and get the dog, but said no one came to the door.

She then called Animal Control and the police issued Beggs a citation for having the Rottweiler running at large. Larkins said later that day, an officer had to physically hold the dog while her own dog was outside.

The police officer was holding the dog by the collar on my porch, Larkins said.

She said the wounds on her hand have prevented her from working this week and said she will not be totally relieved until the animal has been destroyed.

The Police Department has been in contact with the District Attorneys Office in reference to obtaining a petition to have the dog destroyed due to the attack on Larkins.

Staff Writer Patrick Hall may be contacted at


General Sports

No. 19 CU football opens camp

From Post staff reports
LEBANON -- Cumberland University opened camp Wednesday morning with 120 players after hearing the team is ranked 19th nationally in the NAIA Football Coaches Preseason Top 25 Poll.

The Bulldogs were ranked in seven Top 25 polls last season, including 23rd at the end of the regular season. Cumberland is one of three Mid-South Conference teams ranked in the Top 25, with Georgetown College rated ninth and the University of the Cumberlands ranked 16th.

CU returns 13 starters and 37 letterwinners from last years 8-3 club, just the third eight-win season since the program was revived in 1990.

Six starters and seven other players who saw significant action return for a defense that led the Mid-South Conference and ranked in the Top 10 nationally in almost every statistical category, including All-Conference players Stephon Ransom and Ben Miller at linebacker and cornerbacks Allant McLemore and Chris Simpson.

The offensive line returns almost completely intact for sixth-year head coach Dewayne Alexander along with running back Lemeco Miller, who amassed 1,291 all-purpose yards last season.

Redshirt freshman Reed Gurchiek, who was injured in the 2010 season opener at Austin Peay, begins fall camp as the starting quarterback.

Cumberland was ranked 18th in the Victory Sports Network Preseason Poll while Ransom was recognized as a Preseason All-American by Consensus Draft Services. Ransom, punt returner Daniel Dayton and punter Tyler Emmetts were all named top players at their positions by the Victory Sports Network heading into the 2011 campaign.

Season tickets on sale -- Season and single-game tickets for the 2011 Cumberland University football season are now on sale. New chairback season tickets will cost $200 per seat in 2011, with half of the fee serving as a personal seat license. Season ticket prices will reduce to $100 per seat in 2012.

General admission season tickets are $30; single game general admission tickets will be $10 per game; $8 tickets for senior citizens. Children 10 and under are admitted free for all Cumberland athletic events. A season pass may also be purchased for $150, allowing fans general admission to all CU home events.

Fans may purchase season tickets or a season pass by calling Jo Jo Freeman at 615-548-1350.

Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: