Today is Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Bulldogs fall to G-Town 88-55

  Email   Print

Gude got a good look at a three-pointer from the corner, but the shot was off, and the Tigers Monty Wilson snared the board. Wilson was then fouled with two-and-a-half ticks left on the clock, leading to two shots at the line. Wilson hit the first and missed the second, setting up Perrys final shot.

Four Bulldogs were in double figures, led again by Gude and Creshaun Holt each with 20, and Brian Blackmon and Jerret Towns scored 18 apiece. Gude was five of nine from behind the arc and Holt collected eight rebounds.

After the tip, the Tigers raced out to a 7-0 lead before Gude hit his first shot from downtown. With CU trailing 13-8, Holt made a bucket, drew the foul and nailed his free throw to pull Cumberland within two. Consecutive three-pointers by Georgetown put the visitors up by eight before Blackmons second three of the night cut the lead to five.

For the second game in a row, Jerret Towns provided enormous energy off of the bench. After grabbing an offensive board, Towns scored in the paint while being fouled and converted the extra point. Towns then turned it up on the defensive end with a steal and a breakaway layup, lessening GCs lead to two. Seconds later, Towns pulled up and drilled a three to give the Bulldogs their first lead of the game, 22-21.

Towns hit his second three of the game with under eight minutes to play, erasing a three-point deficit for CU. Three baskets were then exchanged between the teams until another three-pointer from Gude gave CU back the lead. With a minute-and-a-half left before halftime, Blackmon drove and made a tough bucket in traffic while being fouled to put the Bulldogs up by three. GCs Vic Moses dominated the last minute of the half, making two buckets to send the Tigers into the locker room with a 42-41 lead.

Holt opened the second half with a monster dunk to push CU ahead by a point and added onto the lead with a tip-in off of a Blackmon miss to extend the lead to three. The Tigers were only able to manage two field goals in a six minute stretch while Towns was busy taking over again. Towns stole the ball on successive possessions, leading to a fastbreak layup and then two free throws, giving Cumberland its largest lead of the game, 56-45.

The Bulldogs were able to retain their lead until just under 12 minutes left in the contest. The Tigers erased a 10 point deficit to tie the game on two free throws by Moses with seven minutes to go.

With the game knotted at 78 and four minutes left on the clock, Holt slammed another one down for a two-point CU lead. Blackmon knocked in another tough shot to give CU a one-point lead with 1:36 left to play. A Cumberland foul led to two made free throws by CU to relinquish the lead, leading to the final decisive plays of the game.

Moses tallied a game-high 28 points and 10 rebounds for Georgetown (11-4, 2-4).

Cumberland hosts non-conference opponent Bethel University on Monday at 6 p.m.

ON THURSDAY-- Stellar nights by Lester Gude and Creshaun Holt propelled Cumberland to a 79-59 conference victory over St. Catharine College Thursday night at the Dallas Floyd Recreation Center. Gude knocked down four three-pointers en route to a game-high 22 points and Holt snared 15 rebounds, eight on the offensive end, and also contributed 13 points.

Cumberland was hot from behind the arc, hitting 66 percent, with six players connecting from deep. Gude was the first Bulldog to light up the offense, scoring a layup while being fouled and connecting on the extra point. A minute later he hit a deep shot to give CU a 6-5 early advantage.

Holt then scored from inside the paint and hit a three-pointer of his own, his first of the season, to put Cumberland up by three within the first five minutes of the game.

Jerret Towns also got into the action off of the bench, scoring on an old-fashioned three-point play, to put CU up 16-11. A three-pointer by SCCs Marquis Lee gave the Patriots a two-point lead with ten minutes left in the first stanza, but Gude was quick to answer with a jumper, layup and free throw to give Cumberland a 26-20 lead. Minutes later, Towns nailed three consecutive triples to put the Bulldogs up 41-25 with under five minutes remaining until intermission.

SCC was only able to muster one more field goal before halftime, giving CU a 48-33 lead at the break.

Cumberland cooled off after halftime, only scoring four field goals within the first ten minutes, which all happened to be three pointers one each by Elijah Gillis and Gude, along with two from E.J. Perry. The Patriots also struggled from the field, not hitting a field goal until six minutes in and CU ahead by 20 points.

With under seven minutes to play, the Patriots began to force Bulldog turnovers and cut the lead to 14. Brian Blackmons layup and ensuing free throw gave CU their momentum back, as Cumberland grew the lead up to 21 before the final buzzer sounded.

Towns finished with 14 points, all coming in the first half, while Blackmon added 13 points and five assists.

For St. Catharine, Travis Wilkins posted a triple-double with 13 points, 12 rebounds and 10 blocks. Lee led the team in scoring with 17.

Cumberland returns to MSC action Saturday vs. Georgetown College at 4 p.m. in the Floyd Center.

Related Articles
Read more from:
General Sports
  Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: