|Chance of snow Friday night|
|Tuesday, February 26, 2013|
By JENNIFER HORTON
Try not to get too excited, but what is looking like Wilson County’s best chance of accumulating snowfall may be Friday night.
It is too far out, meteorologically speaking, to know how much snowfall to expect, but moisture will be here, and the temperature is expected to drop below freezing to 31 degrees, so there is a pretty good chance we will see snow on the ground on Saturday morning.
“Our best chance is Friday night,” said Mark Rose, meteorologist with the National Weather Service Office in Old Hickory.
As of The Wilson Post’s deadline on Tuesday, the weather service was calling for a 60 percent chance of precipitation, likely starting out as rain and then switching to snow as the temperature drops.
Until then, however, there are chances for a rain and snow mix through Saturday night.
“We are in a real yucky pattern right now,” Rose said, adding it will be cold and damp for the next few days.
A cold front moved through the Mid-state Tuesday bringing colder temperatures. A low pressure system is located north of the state and is not expected to move much until this weekend, keeping us in cloudy, drizzly, snowy, cold conditions.
Even though it will be colder than it has been in recent days, the lows at night remain above freezing until Thursday when it drops to 32 and then to 31 on Friday. “It’s too warm until then,” he noted, for any snow to stick.
It will be breezy again today with a high of about 43 and a 30 percent chance of rain. Tonight, look for a 30 percent chance of rain and snow with a low near 34.
There is a slight chance of rain and snow before noon on Thursday, then a slight chance of rain, with a high of 44. The chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
Look for a chance of snow before 9 a.m., then a chance of rain and snow on Friday. The high will be about 41, and the chance of precipitation is 40 percent. Rain and snow are likely Friday night with the low at 31. The precipitation chance is 60 percent.
Scattered snow showers are in the forecast for Saturday with a high near 39. The chance of precipitation is 50 percent. The low Saturday night drops to about 27 with a 20 percent chance of snow showers.
Sunday is expected to be partly sunny with a high near 42.
Although spring does not officially begin until March 20, meteorological spring begins March 1 and runs through May 31.
Rose said the 90-day outlook for spring, meteorologically speaking, calls for “well above normal temperatures” and “slightly normal to slightly above normal” precipitation.
“It may be a busy severe weather spring, or it may not,” he said, noting that a combination of very warm temperatures and above normal precipitation “gives a greater probability of severe weather.”
In the meantime, if you are planning to be on the roadways now through the weekend, Rose urged drivers to be cautious and to pay attention to local weather reports through TV, commercial radio, NOAA Weather Radio, the Internet and social media.