Today is Saturday, July 22, 2017

Families escape overnight fire in Mt. Juliet

  Email   Print

A predawn fire temporarily displaced 18 families at the new Lifestyles Communities in Mt. Juliet Sunday.

Residents had to quickly evacuate because of a fire in a unit. The fire was at 3:37 a.m., said Fire Department of Mt. Juliet Chief Jamie Luffman.

The fire was contained to one unit on the third floor in Building 15 at the apartment complex at 1125 Westwood Blvd. in Providence. It erupted in the kitchen.

"We got a call about a structure, residential fire," Luffman said.

Stations 1 and 3 responded, as well as the Volunteer Crew with the "tower."

Luffman said a resident was apparently cooking something on the stove in a "cook pot."

"It got hot and flames went up to the cabinets and microwave," said Luffman.

He said the sprinkler system contained the fire, along with responders who were able to suppress the fire. They then blew the smoke out with special fans.

Deputy Chief Chris Allen was in command during the fire and Cpt. Nick Ford and the "A" shift did a "great job" finishing off the flame extinguishment and ventilation," said Luffman.

"Eighteen units were evacuated as a precaution," he said. "Fifteen families were able to return soon afterward."

No one was injured in the fire. Luffman said the apartment complex has smoke detectors and sprinklers. Sprinklers are installed by law and inspected regularly by the fire department.

Two families on the second and first floor had to leave due to water damage, as well as the unit the fire originated.

The fire is still under investigation.

Related Articles
Read more from:
General News
Tags: 
fire department, lifestyles communities, mt. juliet
Share: 
  Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: