Today is Monday, August 21, 2017

Fire safety tips from TN Fire Marshal

  Email   Print

State Fire Marshal: Take Fire Safety Seriously During Cold Weather Months

Tennessee State Fire Marshal's Office is reminding Tennesseans that it's crucial to keep fire safety in mind during the winter months.

"Ice, snow and cold temperatures can drastically increase fire risks during what is already a peak season for residential fires," said Commerce & Insurance Commissioner and State Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak. "It is crucial to make fire safety a priority in and around our homes to avoid the devastation that can accompany winter weather conditions."

The State Fire Marshal's Office offers these tips to ward off winter fire hazards:

Heating Safety

  • Turn portable alternative heaters (such as space heaters or kerosene heaters) off when you go to bed or leave the room.

  • Portable heaters need their space. Keep anything that can burn (including you!) at least three feet away.

  • Make sure your portable heaters have 'tip switches.' These 'tip switches' are designed to automatically turn off the heater in the event they tip over.

  • Do not use the kitchen oven range to heat your home. In addition to being a fire hazard, it can be a source of toxic fumes.

  • Only refuel heaters outdoors. Never refill a fuel-burning space heater while it is operating or still hot.

  • Make sure wood stoves are properly installed, and at least three feet away from combustible materials. Ensure they have the proper floor support and adequate ventilation.

  • Use a glass or metal screen in front of your fireplace to prevent sparks from igniting nearby carpets, furniture or other items that can catch fire.

  • If you utilize fuel-burning appliances, install and maintain a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.

Electrical Safety

  • If your home has sustained flood or water damage, and you can safely get to the main breaker or fuse box, turn off the power.

  • Assume all wires on the ground are electrically charged. This includes cable TV feeds.

  • Have a licensed electrician check your home for damage.

  • Never run cords under rugs or carpets where heat might build up or damage to a cord may go unnoticed.

  • Appliances that emit smoke or sparks should be repaired or replaced.

Generator Safety

  • Only use a generator or other fuel-powered machines outside the home as they can create toxic amounts of carbon monoxide.

  • Never connect generators to another power source such as power lines. The reverse flow of electricity or 'backfeed' can electrocute an unsuspecting utility worker.

Additional Tips

  • Always use a flashlight - not a candle - for emergency lighting.

  • If the power goes out, make certain that all electrical appliances, such as stoves, electric space heaters and hair dryers, are in the OFF position.

  • If there is a fire hydrant near your home, keep it clear of snow, ice and debris for easy access by the fire department.

  • Notify your local fire marshal's office if your home or building's fire sprinkler system has been impaired.

  • Never attempt to thaw frozen pipes with a blow torch or other open flame.

  • Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home (including the basement) and inside and outside of sleeping areas. Test your smoke alarms monthly. Replace any alarms that are older than 10 years old or that don't sound when tested.

  • Some smoke alarms may be dependent on your home's electrical service and could be inoperative during a power outage. Check to see if your smoke alarm uses a back-up battery and install a new battery at least once a year.

  • Develop a home fire escape plan with two ways out of every room and a designated outside meeting place. Practice the plan with everyone in your home.

Related Articles
Read more from:
General News
fire, fire safety, fires, heaters, house fire, portable heaters, public safety, safety, winter
  Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: