Starting Monday, April 13, and going through the month of May, the Wilson County Schools will be hosting Kindergarten Fairs for parents and their children who will be attending kindergarten in the fall of 2015.
"The fairs allow for kindergarten parents and their children to come see the school, ask any questions they may have and for the school system to administer a kindergarten screening," said Yvonne Smith, supervisor of instruction for grades kindergarten through five. "This gives everyone a sneak peak to see what kindergarten is about before school starts in August."
According to Smith, the schools set up information booths about various school services such as:
- School Nutrition
- ESL (English as Second Language)
- Kids Club
- School Nurse
- Family Resource Center
- School Office
- Student Resource Officers
- Parent-Teacher Organizations
"Parents and their children may also tour parts of the school or visit a kindergarten classroom during the fairs," Smith said.
In addition, the schools have invited vendors to set up a booth in the cafeteria or gym area.
Some of the vendors that supported our schools and participated in last year's fairs were:
- Wilson Bank & Trust
- Area restaurants that have spirit nights
- Wilson County Public Library
- Area daycares
- Tae Kwon Do, gymnastics, etc.
- Pediatric dentists
- Teach a Child
"Parents can visit different booths to find out information they would like regarding the start to kindergarten," Smith said. "In addition, we request that each child have their Kindergarten screening conducted while attending the fair. Some schools assign times for the screening which normally take around 15 minutes per child."
The upcoming fairs are:
- Monday, April 13, 5:30-7:30 p.m. - Watertown Elementary
- Tuesday, April 21, 5:30-7:30 p.m. - Elzie Patton Elementary
- Thursday, April 23, 4-6:30 p.m. - W.A. Wright Elementary
- Thursday, April 30, 4:30-6:30 p.m. - Rutland Elementary
- Monday, May 4, 5-7 p.m. - Southside Elementary
- Tuesday, May 5, 5-7 p.m. - Mt. Juliet Elementary
- Thursday, May 7, 5-7 p.m. - Gladeville Elementary
- Monday, May 11, 5:30-7:30 p.m. - Stoner Creek Elementary
- Tuesday, May 12, 5:30-7:30 p.m. - West Elementary
- Thursday, May 14, 5:30-7:30 p.m. - Lakeview Elementary
- Monday, May 18, 5:30-7:30 p.m. - Tuckers Crossroads Elementary
- Thursday, May 21, 5-7 p.m. - Carroll-Oakland Elementary (Times may change due to construction. Please check the school website for updates).
"We look forward to having a new group of Kindergarten students this fall," Smith said. "So remember, if you are starting kindergarten, please be sure to make arrangements to attend the Kindergarten Fair for your zoned school."