|Fire destroys home near Norene|
|Monday, July 9, 2012|
By PATRICK HALL
A fire that destroyed a home Monday morning was reportedly caused by an oil lamp and bug bombs, but resulted in no injuries, said Wilson County Emergency Management Agency Director John Jewell.
The home, located at 75 Osborne Road, about a mile east of the Norene community, caught fire Monday morning when a woman who was cleaning the home, set off a bug bomb, which in turn ignited an oil lamp.“Somehow the bug bomb set that lamp on fire, it fell onto the floor and caught the whole floor on fire,” Jewell said.
Jewell indicated the home is a piece of rental property and the homeowner’s daughter was at the home cleaning, using the oil lamp for light. The call came in at 11:53 a.m., and WEMA personnel from Stations 1, 2 and 7 responded.
“The building was in advanced involvement when we got there,” he said, indicating the fire had engulfed the structure.
Jewell noted the fire was put out in about an hour-and-a-half to two hours and no one was injured in the process.