3rd ranked LWU wins 6-0
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - Third-ranked Lindsey Wilson swept the doubles and posted three singles wins, with the last two matches ending within seconds, in a 6-0 victory over 16th-ranked Cumberland here Monday in the finals of the Mid-South Conference Women's Tennis Championships at Kereaikes Park.
Cumberland (12-8) must wait until the final regular season ranking and the announcement of the field for the NAIA Championships, which takes place on May 9, to find out if it will advance to the national tournament for the fourth time in program history and the first time since 2013.
The Blue Raiders took an early lead in the match, with 24th-ranked Jessica King and Fiona Curty breaking three times and taking an 8-1 victory over Trinidad Aguirre and Jasmine Shankar at No. 2 doubles. LWC's Alex Schipakina and Maria Prados Cid posted two breaks at No. 3 - at 4-3 and in the final game - en route to an 8-4 victory against Franki Jecker and Sarah Edwards.
At No. 1 the teams traded breaks in the first eight games and the match was tied at five before another break by the Blue Raiders' eighth-ranked Henar Munoz and Natalia Kattah put LWC ahead, 6-5. The Lindsey Wilson duo served out the match for an 8-6 win over seventh-ranked Angelica Sepulveda and Tarsha de Souza and a 3-0 lead in the dual.
King quickly upped the lead for the Blue Raiders with a 6-0, 6-0, victory at No. 3 against Aguirre. Schipakina won her match over de Souza at No. 2, 6-1, 6-2, and in the next five seconds, Curty finished off her win at No. 6 versus Edwards by the same score.
Lindsey Wilson was ahead a set and 5-1 at Nos. 4 and 5 and Munoz won the first set against Sepulveda at No. 1 and the match was on serve at 2-3 in the second set.
Lindsey Wilson 6, Cumberland Univ. 0
1. #13 Henar Munoz (LWC) vs. #9 Angelica Sepulveda (CU), 6-2, 2-3, DNF
2. Alex Schipakina (LWC) def. Tarsha de Souza (CU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Jessica King (LWC) def. Trinidad Aguirre (CU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Maria Prados Cid (LWC) vs. Jasmine Shankar (CU), 6-1, 5-1, DNF
5. #42 Natalia Kattah (LWC) def. Franki Jecker (CU), 6-3, 5-1, DNF
6. Fiona Curty(LWC) def. Sarah Edwards (CU), 6-1, 6-2
1. #8 Munoz-Kattah (LWC) def. #7 Sepulveda-de Souza (CU), 8-6
2. #24 King-Curty (LWC) def. Aguirre-Shankar (CU), 8-1
3. Schipakina-Prados Cid (LWC) def. Jecker-Edwards (CU), 8-4