Today is Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Two things you can do on a hot day

  Email   Print
A stocker brown trout we caught while trying to stay warm.

The weather liars said it would be 95, August 26. I had on a jogging suit hoody and rain pants and was not sweating. I was working hard, too. Not as hard as the Judge who just about refuses to use the trolling motor. He would rather scull. That suits me fine cause I would rather catch trout.
For some reason I could never fathom, we met at the Waffle House at just after midnight-Sam McCaleb, Mark Campbell, David Durham and I. They ate for about an hour and we then drove three vehicles to Happy Hollow on the banks of the Caney Fork. No, I have no idea why we had three. But we did and we got there with several hours to wait for daylight. It finally came.
Me and the Judge let Sam and the “Bird” go first in their boat. I caught a nice rainbow on the third cast and it got good. Just in our boat, we had somewhere between 20-25 trout, a mixture of ‘bows, brookies and browns. Nothing to get excited about, just good stocker action.
But what a way to spend a blistering hot morning. It was somewhere between cool and cold for the first two hours. The fog lay thick and low and I kept my jacket zipped until well past nine.
Now for you trout anglers, here is what we were doing.
(1) They would not hit in slow water. They wanted some current.
(2) The lure almost always had to be coming downstream. You had to cast almost behind the boat. They did not really want crankbaits. We caught a total of two on crankers. They wanted the inline spinners-1/6-ounce Rooster Tails in orange and the blue/silver flash.
(3) None of the wading, bait anglers we passed had caught more than two. Sam and Bird maybe caught 10.
I did not even break a sweat until we loaded the boats at Betty’s Island. That was around 11:00. That is one way to deal with the heat and I recommend it.
Your Second Option
You can do that and stay really cool or you can go to County Rd. 10, just outside Tuskegee, AL and roast while you fill the cooler with eating-size bass.
See, what happened is this. The Colonel called and said, “Come down. Our friend is not well and we are having a dinner for him on Saturday. Just a few of the close friends. Come a day or so early and help me cull some of the bass.”
So, on a somewhat sad note, August 28, I headed south. As promised, it was sweltering but we fished a little in the “cool” of the evening and at dawn in the mornings. The highs each day topped 102 so the amount of time fishing was limited.
The water temperature was probably about 95 and the fish were not as active as you would like. But they did hit. They wanted the Beetle Spin and the firetail worm.

Our objective fish was one between 10-14 inches. They are the perfect eating size and the ones you want to cull. That leaves the big fish for catch and release and spawning.
Robert and I managed to put about 35-bass, just the right size into vacuum bags and that made 10, perfect meals of fillets for me to work on over the next few weeks.
With an occasional bass in the 3-5 pound class, it stayed interesting. All the bass over 15-inhes, we threw back.
So, now back at home, I guess it is time to start giving some thought to the approaching deer season.
For some reason, I can’t seem to get too excited about it this year. Maybe some cool weather would help.
Contact Sloan at

Related Articles
Read more from:
John Sloan - Outdoors
  Email   Print
Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: